Sunday, November 16, 2008

At last


Well I can finally give a little bit of an update about Liza and how we're all doing back here at home! I've probably had plenty of time to sit down and do this but my parents just left and I was enjoying spending time with them while they were here.

I'll start with last Thursday night (Nov. 10th). When Jordan and I pictured our trip to the hospital to have our baby, neither of us really pictured a leisurely drive up the mountain, but that's exactly what it was! We were supposed to get to the hospital at 5:30pm to start the induction process so we left a little early and ate at the Subway across the street from the hospital. Thursday night was fine. It was a little hard to sleep because I had to stay still. I couldn't lay on my side because Liza's heart rate kept dropping a little. At one point they decided to give me oxygen to make sure that Liza had enough. If you've looked at our pictures on Picasa, that's what those pictures are from. (By the way I'm not super excited about all of the pictures that Jordan put on there... I'm not sure I wanted the world to see me at my "best" while in labor!) Jordan didn't wake up when they came in to give it to me so when they left and I finally got his attention he freaked out for a second. ;-)

Friday morning at 8:30ish Dr. Harkins (our obstetrician) came in and started the pitocin. It wasn't so bad until they broke my water around noon. After that, I started to feel the contractions a lot more and by 5 I was really having a hard time. I had decided that I wanted to try my best to go without an epidural, but at 5 when they checked to see how far along I was and I still had a while to go, I realized that I needed to give in and just get the epidural. Boy was it worth it! ;-) Since I was able to relax more, the last part of labor went a lot faster and by 8:48pm we had our little Liza! I think Jordan was thankful for the epidural as well because he didn't have to be concerned about my pain and was able to just enjoy the whole experience.

Since we've been home things have been going really well. My parents were here and my mom helped out so much. She cleaned all sorts of stuff that I didn't even know was dirty, and she made us some meals that she put in the freezer for us to enjoy later. We played lots of Bridge too and Jordan and I really enjoyed that.

Now Jordan and I are alone with the baby! So far we're doing a good job, but this is only our first day. Liza got her first bath today and other than that she's just been sleeping. We'll see how I do tomorrow by myself all day with Jordan at work and no more parents, but I'm sure that all will go well. Liza has been really easy so far and just an incredible blessing. Jordan and I just love her so much and we can't wait to share her with all of you!

Since Jordan posted a video of Liza crying, I thought I'd at least try to share a video where she's a little more pleasant. This one is really short, but yesterday when my mom was changing her, Liza was just so happy to be on her changing pad and kick all over the place! I only caught the end of it but she's just so cute!





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great video, short but shows a cutie. Looks like her g-mom but is more pleasant. GGmom is anxious to spoil her !