Saturday, November 17, 2007

Another first!

Tonight we got to experience another first as a couple. Two, actually. It was our first time to go over to the house of some friends from church, and it was our first time getting robbed!

We walked out of our friends' house after Bible study, and as I went to open Sarah's door, I noticed that there were some things on the front seat. At first I thought nothing of it, because I had left some things on the seat in my car. As I thought about it though, I realized that this was Sarah's car, and besides, if Sarah sat in that seat on the way over, how is there stuff on the seat now.

At about this time I realized that everything I saw on the seat had been in the glove compartment two hours earlier, and I was even more confused, until Sarah said, "Somebody broke into the car!" To that, my response was, "oh."

We don't keep anything too important in the car, so we didn't think they had stolen anything, but we decided to call the cops anyways, if only to give them one more piece of evidence. As it turned out, they had stolen Sarah's sun-visor CD case full of CDs.

Fortunately, they didn't do any further damage to the car. The officer who responded said that there has been a rash of theft from cars, and they often key the vehicle or slash the tires.

So, that is the end of our unlocked car days. It would seem to be a small price to pay for some extra security, but it's really not. It's an exorbitant price to pay for crime, and sad that we have to accept that. But accept it we do, and we're glad that we suffered no greater loss than we did. In fact, this was the one time ever that we can remember that Sarah left her purse at home and not in the car.

No comments: